Winter Green Couch (Digitaria didactyla)
Winter Green Couch is a popular choice for homeowners looking for a lawn that presents value for money, bearing lower upfront cost. Best suited for areas receiving upwards of seven hours of direct sunlight per day, this fine leaf variety is a Summer stunner – showcasing a deep green colour and tidy appearance. When mown regularly to a height of 15-20mm in Summer and 20-30mm in Winter, you will maintain a tidy manicured lawn to complement your outdoor living space.
Winter Green Couch is a budget turf species perfect for large sunny areas where a premium variety is not required. Winter Green will withstand heavy usage in high traffic areas and is very commonly used throughout new developments, and by many councils for parks and footpath areas. Before the development of specialty turfs, it was the popular choice for sporting surfaces, and is still the first choice of BCC for most urban green space. Like most Couch turf species is not suitable for shaded areas and requires up to around 5 hours of direct sunshine daily or dappled sun all day.
- Mow every 7-days throughout the growing season (September – May)
- Mow every 2 weeks during winter.
- Infrequent, deep watering is recommended to promote healthy growth. Annual rainfall can sometimes be adequate once established.
- May require watering during prolonged dry periods.
- Early morning watering is recommended.
- A regular fertilizing regime will ensure healthy colour and winter survival.