Palmetto Buffalo (Stenotaphrum secundatum)
Palmetto is a true eye-catcher, with its dark emerald green leaves of 8-9mm wide and a low lateral growth. Palmetto, like other Soft-leaf Buffalos has excellent shade tolerance and is generally slower growing than other species and is the number 1 selling Buffalo grass in the world!
Palmetto is a tough buffalo making it perfect for the Aussie backyard! With moderate to high durability, it is great for high traffic areas, areas where children play and with dogs. Palmetto can tolerate as little 3 hours of sunlight each day in low use areas, but also perform well in full sun conditions.
- Unlike other upward growing Buffalos like Sir Walter, Palmetto needs less mowing, due to its lateral, albeit invasive growth.
- High resistance to many fungal and pest attack.
- High drought, heat and cold tolerances, with a deep root system it out performs most other soft-leaf buffalo species.
- During the growing season (September-May) mow every 7-14 days.
- During the winter mow every 2-5 weeks.
- Less seed heads mean Palmetto is a low allergenic choice.
- Palmetto requires specialty herbicides and pesticides when treating. When purchasing these products always read the label forsuitability and application rates.
- Like all turf, Palmetto can be susceptible to Lawn Grub or Army Worm attack during the wet season.
Palmetto Buffalo requires specialty herbicides and pesticides when treating. When purchasing these products always read the label for suitability and application rates.